OINP Masters Graduate Stream

Apply for a nomination for permanent residence in Ontario if you have a master’s degree from an Ontario university.

The Masters Graduate Stream is an immigration stream under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.
It gives international graduates with an Ontario master’s degree the opportunity to apply to permanently live and work in Ontario.

Before you apply, Make sure you meet the mandatory requirements

This stream has a number of mandatory requirements you must meet before you can apply to the Masters Graduate Stream if you meet all the criteria in the eight categories below. You don’t need a job offer

To qualify, you must have completed the requirements necessary to get a master’s degree. This means:

  • at least one academic year of full-time study (that is at least 15 hours of instruction per week over the academic year)
  • the degree is from an eligible university in Ontario (see the list of eligible Ontario universities below)

You don’t qualify if you are enrolled as a student when you are applying, unless: it is for the purpose of meeting the requirements to be licensed in a regulated occupation in Ontario, or you are also working full-time in Ontario You don’t qualify if you have received a bursary, grant or scholarship that requires you return to your home country after you earn your master’s degree. You may only apply after you have fulfilled those commitments and can demonstrate an intention to live in Ontario. .

You must be able to understand, read, write and speak in English or French at a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 7 or higher.

To prove that you have the mandatory language skills, you must take an approved English or French language test before you submit your application to this stream.

The test must be no more than two years old at the time you submit your application.

For English tests, we accept:

  • International English Language Testing (IELTS) (General Training test only)
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) (General test only)

For French tests, we accept:

  • Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF)
  • Test de Connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF)
  • You must have legally lived in Ontario for at least one year in the past two years before you apply.
You must have enough money to support yourself and your dependent family members when you settle in Canada.

You can meet this requirement through one or a combination of any of the following:

  1. funds as demonstrated by the balance listed in bank statements, or statements of accounts showing other investments such as non-locked in, fixed-term deposits, mutual funds, etc.
  2. annual earnings from ongoing employment in Ontario, and/or
  3. a job offer in Ontario

Learn more about the amount of money you must have available in order to apply (see “How much money you will need”).


You must intend to live and work in Ontario after you’re granted permanent residence. We determine this by examining your ties to Ontario, which can include doing things like:

  • working or have worked in Ontario
  • getting job offers or applying/interviewing for jobs
  • studying
  • volunteering
  • leasing or owning property
  • visiting
  • having professional networks and affiliations, family ties or social or personal relationships

At the time you apply, you must be either:

  • living in Ontario with legal status (study permit, work permit, visitor record)
  • living outside Canada

You don’t qualify if you’re living in a province or territory in Canada other than Ontario at the time you apply.

  • If you are applying from within Canada, you must have legal status (a visitor record, study permit, or work permit) at the time you apply and should maintain that status until the time of nomination.

You must submit your application within two years of completing the requirements necessary to obtain your master’s degree.

This means that the date on your degree must be within two years of your OINP application submission date. For example, if your degree is dated June 1, 2017, you must apply to this stream before June 1, 2019.

If you don’t have your degree yet, use the date on the official letter from your university which states when your degree will be granted.

Important: You must have completed your master’s degree before you submit your application.

To qualify for the Masters Graduate Stream, your master’s degree must be from one of the universities listed below:
  • Algoma University
  • Brescia University College (Affiliated with the University of Western Ontario)
  • Brock University
  • Carleton University
  • Dominican University College
  • Huron University College (Affiliated with the University of Western Ontario)
  • King’s University College at the University of Western Ontario
  • Lakehead University
  • Laurentian University
  • McMaster University
  • Nipissing University
  • Ontario College of Art & Design University
  • Queen’s University
  • Royal Military College of Canada
  • Ryerson University
  • Saint Paul University (Federated with the University of Ottawa)
  • St. Jerome’s University (Federated with the University of Waterloo)
  • Trent University
  • University of Guelph
  • University of Ontario Institute of Technology
  • University of Ottawa
  • University of St. Michael’s College (Federated with the University of Toronto)
  • University of Toronto
  • University of Trinity College (Federated with the University of Toronto)
  • University of Waterloo
  • University of Windsor
  • Victoria University (Federated with the University of Toronto)
  • Western University
  • Wilfrid Laurier University
  • York University

Add Your Comment